Multi-disciplinary stable Westwater Advocates has been awarded some 30 individual recommendations in 12 categories in the newly-published 2015 edition of the Chambers Directory.
On learning of the endorsements by the prestigious annual legal review, Stable Director Calum MacNeill QC said, “The latest Chambers recommendations highlight the outstanding quality of our members and magnificent clerking team. It is especially pleasing to see that Chambers’ renowned research has confirmed what we already knew – that instructing solicitors value the rich diversity of the practices of our members and that a number of the Bar’s leading figures are members of the stable. The overall performance of Westwater Advocates across the categories cements our reputation as a stable of multi-disciplinary excellence.”
The full rankings for the stable are as follows:
AGRICULTURE & RURAL AFFAIRS
- Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw Bt QC (Star Individual) “He’s very down to earth and approachable, and very good in consultation when explaining complex areas of law to clients; he also has gravitas and can help direct the client.”
- Gail Joughin (Band 3) “Gail Joughin does some good work in agriculture – she gets the job done.” (Gail is now non-practising.)
- Donald Cameron (Band 2) “He is very good with the clients; he comes across as very empathetic, and explains complex points in basic terms.”
- Margaret Hodge (Band 2) Acts on a wide range of clinical negligence cases. She draws praise for her expertise in delayed diagnosis of breast cancer claims. “She is very thorough and looks at complex issues in great depth.”
COMMERCIAL DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- Nick Ellis QC (Band 1) “He is superb and regarded as a top-bracket advocate.” “He really gets to grips with things, and gives his clients a real sense of direction.”
- Calum MacNeill QC (Band 3) “He gets to grips very quickly with the technical aspects of a case.”
- Jonathan Brown (Band 2) Has a broad commercial practice with considerable expertise in cases relating to professional discipline.
- Nick Ellis QC (Band 2) Has a broad practice encompassing construction contract and negligence cases, as well as wider commercial work. He receives consistent praise for his practical and user-friendly approach.
- Calum MacNeill QC (Band 1) “If you wanted a commercial counsel you would use him.” “He tests the mood and tailors his advice to where the conversation is going.”
- Alice Stobart (Band 2) “Clients find her a pleasure to deal with.” “She is someone to rely upon; she gets her preparation correct and produces good material.”
- Ken McGuire (Band 2) “He is a sensible and pragmatic advocate.”
- David Hay (Band 3) “He is very good at analysing situations.” “If you are looking for written work he is your man – he goes into a good level of detail.”
- Juliette Casey (Band 3) “She is very effective in a courtroom setting.”
- Donald Cameron (Band 2) “He is very organised and comes back with detailed lines of evidence.” “His intellectual ability and good manner with clients continue to impress.”
FAMILY / MATRIMONIAL
With a high concentration of outstanding dedicated family law advocates, Westwater Advocates is widely known as the go-to stable at the Scottish Bar for family-related legal issues. Its members act on the full range of family cases, from high-value claims for financial provision post-divorce to child care cases. “They are really gifted advocates; it is exceptional to listen to them analyse a case. They’re good with clients and the clerking is excellent.”
- Janys Scott QC (Star Individual) “She has vast experience of the field, and is extremely knowledgeable and effective in court.” “Her knowledge of the area is encyclopaedic and her memory is incredible.”
- Ruth Innes (Star Individual) “Her technical knowledge of the law is second to none. The judges all completely trust her.” “Her attention to detail and her willingness to provide advice are first-class.”
- Lynda Brabender (Band 1) “A first choice in both financial provision and child-related cases on account of her excellent analytical ability, her pleasant and unflappable manner and her forensic skills.” “She is a powerhouse of energy and ability.”
- John Speir (Band 1) “He is able to think strategically, and doesn’t lose sight of the client’s objectives. He leaves no stone unturned.” “He has an ability to look at a case from a different angle. He fights his client’s corner.”
- Mary Loudon (Band 2) “She is very good with clients and on her feet.”
- Alison Wild (Band 2) “She has a very nice manner and is very knowledgeable and skilled.”
- Robert Hayhow (Band 2) “He is meticulous in his preparation, reads everything thoroughly, gives excellent advice and is very straight-talking.” “He is excellent in court, very resilient and assured. A great guy to have in your corner.”
- Kirsty Malcolm (Band 2) “She has a good knowledge and a firm grasp of the law.”
HEALTH and SAFETY
- Gavin Anderson (Band 1) “He is excellent in court.” “He has the confidence of clients.”
- Greg Cunningham (Band 1) “He made sure that everything was on time, to a really good standard. We were very happy with how he performed.”
Westwater Advocates is the oldest stable at the Scottish Bar, and remains home to a number of the Bar’s leading figures. Its advocates maintain mixed practices, and this is applauded by solicitors who value instructing established advocates who have not just considerable experience in personal injury cases, but also broader expertise in related areas such as clinical negligence.
- Andrew Hajducki QC (Band 1) Offers counsel on a broad spectrum of matters, including high-value industrial disease and product liability cases. He maintains an excellent reputation for his strength in handling jury trials. “He is one of the most talented QCs at the Scottish Bar.” “He’s completely unflappable and never seems to worry about anything.”
- Gilmour Ivey QC (Band 2) Enjoys a strong reputation in the market for his expertise in industrial disease cases. He regularly represents both pursuers and defenders. “He is a strong advocate and a very safe pair of hands.”
- Laura Wray (Band 2) Maintains a broad practice that includes industrial disease, RTAs and employers’ liability cases. Solicitors value her experience of working for both pursuers and defenders. “She doesn’t just tell the client what they want to hear: she tells them what they need to hear.” “Her work is always detailed and accurate.”
PLANNING & ENVIRONMENT
- Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw Bt QC (Band 1) “He’s hugely knowledgeable. He has vast experience in many areas of law, and it comes together to create effective advocacy.” “He’s passionate, tenacious and client-friendly – he’s prepared to go the extra mile for a cause he believes in.”
- Jonathan Brown (Band 1) “He is very good at expressing the complex matters we have to deal with.” “He provides well-ordered and carefully set-out written pleadings.”
- Iain Artis (Band 2) An experienced contentious tax specialist and a standing counsel to HMRC.