After qualifying as a solicitor in 1992, Douglas worked for six years with a large commercial firm of solicitors in Glasgow and Edinburgh.
He specialises in employment, civil and commercial work, but also has extensive experience in the criminal courts.
He has sat as an Employment Judge in Scotland and England. Between March 2010 and May 2011 he was a full-time Employment Judge in the Edinburgh Office of the Employment Tribunals. He is currently a panel member of the Police Appeal Tribunal.
Between May 2011 and January 2015 he was a full-time Advocate Depute, and between November 2013 and January 2015 he held the position of Senior Advocate Depute.
During 2016, he successfully defended one of the seven accused in the criminal prosecution arising from the administration and sale of Rangers Football Club.
In 2017, he was instructed on behalf of a core-participant group in the Edinburgh Tram Inquiry.
He has appeared regularly before the Employment Tribunals and the Employment Appeal Tribunal, the Sheriff Court, the Outer and Inner Houses of the Court of Session the High Court of Justiciary and the Criminal Appeal Court. He has also appeared in the House of Lords in Hamilton v Allied Domecq 2007 SC (HL) 142, and in the Supreme Court in Jude, Hodgson and Birnie v HMA 2012 SCCR 88, McGowan v B 2012 SCCR 109 and O’Neill & Laughlan v HMA 2013 SCCR 401.
Significant / reported cases which he has conducted in the last five years include:
- HMA v Hodgson2012 SCCR 519 – solemn conviction appeal – Article 6
- HMA v Birnie2012 SCCR 529 – solemn conviction appeal – Article 6
- HMA v Doyle– September 2012 – murder trial
- HMA v Nolan– March 2013 – murder trial
- HMA v Murray2013 SCCR 88 – criminal appeal – sentence discount
- Afzal v HMA2013 SCCR 244 – solemn conviction appeal
- HMA v Baillie2013 SCCR 285 – criminal appeal – threats / admissibility
- Walker v HMA2013 SCCR 483 – criminal appeal – self defence
- HMA v McLaren– December 2013 – murder trial
- Sabiu v PF Fort William2014 SCCR 59 – criminal appeal – Article 6 – waiver
- Duncan v HMA2014 SCCR 102 – solemn conviction appeal – previous convictions
- HMA v Pope– January 2014 – murder trial
- HMA v Vita– March 2014 – murder trial
- Ferguson and others v HMA2014 SCCR 244 – orders for lifelong restriction
- O’Leary v HMA2014 SCCR 421 – Article 6 / orders for lifelong restriction
- McA v HMA2014 SCCR 441 – corroboration – Moorov doctrine
- Cusick v Harvie2014 SCCR 443 – Road Traffic – approved speed detection device
- Paterson v Harvie2014 SLT 857 – statutory interpretation – s.38 CJLSA
- Brown and another v. Stonegale Limited  CSIH 12 – insolvency – gratuitous alienation
- McKechnie v. Murray 2015 SLT 217 (OH);  CSIH 4 – citation by solicitor suspended from practice
- HMA v. Whyte and others – January-June 2016 – alleged fraud / administration of Rangers FC
- Lyons v. Fraser 2016 SCCR 584 – contempt of court – failure to appear as a witness
- Ochuko Dafiaghor-Olomu v Community Integrated Care and another – EATS/0001/17/JW – unfair dismissal – remedy – re-engagement
Douglas is a contributor to Court of Session Practice (Tottel), and co-author of Contempt of Court in Scotland (CLT).
Mobile: 07739 639027
Email: Douglas Fairley QC