Dr Ian Truscott QC returns to the Bar and has joined the Westwater Stable after a period where he practised as a partner in a global law firm.
Ian first called to the Bar in Scotland in 1988, and England in 1996 and achieved silk in Scotland in 1997. He is widely regarded (and consistently ranked in Chambers and the Legal 500) as one of the foremost employment lawyers in the UK. He has appeared in the European Court of Justice, the House of Lords, the Court of Appeal in England, the Inner and Outer Houses of the Court of Session, Sheriff Courts throughout Scotland, the Employment Appeal Tribunal in Edinburgh and London, the Central Arbitration Committee and Employment Tribunals throughout Scotland and England and Northern Ireland. He has also appeared in some of the major public inquiries in the last 30 years, namely the Piper Alpha Inquiry, the Ocean Odyssey Inquiry, the Orkney Inquiry and the Scotland/ Northern Ireland Electricity Interconnector Inquiry.
Ian gained his PhD in 2004 and was the co-author of the employment section of the Stair Memorial Encyclopaedia and the Scottish editor of the Encyclopaedia of Employment Law and from 1980 until 2015 he was the Chairman of the Employment Law Group of the Law Society of Scotland.
In 2002 Ian was appointed as a Part-Time Employment Judge in England & Wales and he currently sits in London on an ad hoc basis.
Notable employment cases in which he has appeared include:
- Glasgow City Council v Unison 2014 SC 610 IH.
- North and Others v. Dumfries and Galloway Council 2013 ICR 993 SC.
- Grampian Health Board v Hewage  ICR 1054 SC.
- City of Edinburgh Council v. (1) C Wilkinson & Ors (2) A McLeod & Ors 2012 SC 423 IH.
- Donnelly & Others v. NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde and Others UKEATS/0007/12.
- Aegon UK Ltd v. Roberts  ICR 596 CA.
- MacDonald v. Advocate General for Scotland  ICR 937 HL.
- Glasgow City Council v. Marshall and Others 2000 SC 67 HL
- Strathclyde Regional Council v. Wallace 1998 SC 72 HL
- Mary Brown v. Rentokil  ECR I-4185
Email: Dr Ian Truscott QC