We are delighted to have 33 individual recommendations in 10 categories in the Legal 500 rankings published yesterday.
Sheila Westwater and the clerking team were singled out for special praise “Practice manager Sheila Westwater is ‘very friendly and excellent at her job’, and the clerking team is praised as ‘extremely helpful, attentive and personable’”, and Sheila has been shortlisted in the category of Senior clerk/chief executive of the year: Clerking/Practice Management (UK-wide).
Stable Director Calum MacNeill QC said “The latest Legal 500 recommendations highlight the quality of both our members and the clerking team. It is especially pleasing to see that the research conducted has established what we already knew – that our employment and family specialists are recognised as ‘exceptionally strong’ and ‘market leaders’ respectively, and that the overall performance of Westwater Advocates across the categories cements our reputation as a stable of multi-disciplinary excellence.”
The full rankings for the stable are as follows:
- Nick Ellis QC – ‘Seeks practical solutions in difficult litigation.’
- Jonathan Brown – ‘Excellent grasp of detail, with a commercial perspective.’
- Greg Sanders – ‘Expertise in insurance contract disputes.’
Westwater Advocates provides a range of specialist commercial litigation advice, which also covers banking law and shareholder disputes.
- Gavin Anderson – ‘Advocacy skills of the highest order and excellent technical and procedural knowledge.’
Westwater Advocates is strong in white-collar crime and regulatory matters.
- Calum MacNeill QC – ‘Very strong advocacy skills.’
- James Peoples QC – ‘An experienced employment law advocate.’
- Donald Cameron – ‘Excellent knowledge of employment law, and an extremely able and conscientious advocate.’
- Juliette Casey – ‘Specialist expertise in equality and discrimination law.’
- David Hay – ‘Excellent analysis and attention to detail.’
- Alice Stobart – ‘A very good junior.’
Westwater Advocates ‘is exceptionally strong in employment-related matters’ and ‘can always source extremely competent and enthusiastic counsel’.
FAMILY and CHILDCARE
- Janys Scott QC – ‘Deep knowledge of child and family law.’
- Lynda Brabender – ‘Particular expertise in child law and public law cases involving children.’
- Julianna Cartwright – ‘A rising star of the Scottish Bar.’
- Robert Hayhow – ‘Expert in cases relating to financial provision on divorce.’
- Maggie Hughes – ‘Recommended for her broad practice.’
- Ruth Innes – ‘Handles a broad range of cases, including those involving international child abduction.’
- Kirsty Malcolm – ‘A leading expert in cohabitation claims.’
- Scott McAlpine – ‘An excellent grasp of the law and very good advocacy skills.’
- John Speir – ‘Persistent in his cross-examination.’
Westwater Advocates is widely recognised as the market leader in family and childcare cases. The stable’s offering was further enhanced with the recent arrival of Janys Scott QC, Kirsty Malcolm and John Speir.
HEALTH and SAFETY, and REGULATORY
- Gavin Anderson – ‘Very able; technically highly competent and an excellent strategist and negotiator.’
At Westwater Advocates Gavin Anderson regularly acts in health and safety prosecutions.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Iain Artis – ‘An expert in copyright and branding disputes.’
Licensing law expert Iain Artis is the key name at Westwater Advocates.
PERSONAL INJURY, MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE and PROFESSIONAL NEGLIGENCE
- Andrew Hajducki QC – ‘He has an unflappable nature and common-sense approach to litigation.’
- Jonathan Brown – ‘Has an excellent grasp of detail, along with a commercial perspective in seeking results.’
- Laura Wray – ‘Meticulous in her preparation and never less than insightful in her analysis; an excellent litigator.’
Westwater Advocates is ‘strong in personal injury work’, and fields specialists in medical and professional negligence, as well as personal injury.
PLANNING, ENVIRONMENTAL and LICENSING
- Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw Bt QC – ‘A recognised expert in environmental law.’
- Andrew Hajducki QC – ‘Excellent on his feet.’
- Gavin Anderson – ‘Expertise in town and county planning cases.’
Westwater Advocates fields experts in renewables-related planning issues, and in licensing matters.
PROPERTY, CONSTRUCTION and AGRICULTURE
- Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw Bt QC – ‘Analyses complex situations and gives concise, easily understandable advice.’
- Nick Ellis QC – ‘Advocacy of the very highest order.’
- Calum MacNeill QC – ‘A respected presence in the courts.’
- Charles Cowie – ‘An expert in construction cases.’ (Now non-practising).
- Greg Sanders – ‘Expertise in construction and property matters.’
Westwater Advocates fields highly regarded agricultural law experts, and has a growing reputation in property and construction disputes.
TAX, TRUSTS and PENSIONS
- Laurence G Cunningham – ‘Responsive, with a detailed knowledge of tax law.’
Westwater Advocates’ Laurence Cunningham is a key name for pensions and tax matters.